Jva Wolfenbüttel Ausstellungsgestatlung Jva Ausstellung Jva Wolfenbüttel Ausstellung Wolfenbüttel

Neugestaltung der Gedenkstätte JVA Wolfenbüttel

Since 1990, the Wolfenbüttel Memorial at the Wolfenbüttel Prison (JVA) has commemorated those executed and detained in the prison as well as the role of the judiciary in National Socialist persecution and murder policies. The Wolfenbüttel prison was part of a networked system of prisons that extended beyond the borders of the Reich. This underlines the European dimension of today's place of remembrance and education. Until 1945, the Wolfenbüttel prison was the central prison in the then Free State of Braunschweig. In the Weimar Republic, the then prison director Weiß pursued a reform-oriented approach to the social integration of prisoners after their release. Since 1933 the number of prisoners has increased rapidly. During the waves of arrests after the "Reichstag Fire Ordinance" and in the following years, the prison served as a prison for political opponents. In November 1938, all Jewish men arrested in the state of Braunschweig after the pogrom night were detained in the Wolfenbüttel prison before being transported to the Buchenwald concentration camp. The increasing involvement of the judiciary in the overall process of oppression and extermination - not only within the German Reich, but also after the beginning of the war in 1939 as part of the occupation policy - can also be exemplified in the Wolfenbüttel prison.



place

Wolfenbüttel

year

2017

size

850 qm

team

Stefan Blaas
Daniel Finke
Studio SML
Sven Michel
Lena Roob
Margaret Warzecha

client

Stiftung Niedersächsische Gedenkstätten

service

Gestaltungsentwurf für die geplante Dauerausstellung

credits

Copyright Tatwerk