Sandbostel Ausstellungsgestaltung

Permanent Exhibition "Sandbostel Camp 1945-2012"

At the end of September 1939, the Wehrmacht brought the first 3,000 Polish prisoners of war to the Sandbostel POW Camp (Stalag), which had just been set up near the Lower Saxony village of Sandbostel. Until liberation on April 29, 1945, several hundred thousand prisoners from all over the world passed through the camp. Their treatment was governed by international treaties, but violations were commonplace among all prisoner groups.

For ideological reasons, the Wehrmacht denied the Soviet soldiers who had come to Sandbostel since October 1941 any protection under international law. Thousands of them died of hunger and disease.

One of the central tasks of the POW camp was to provide manpower. To date, more than 1,100 labour commands are known throughout the Elbe-Weser Triangle.

In April 1945, the SS deported about 9500 prisoners from the main camp and subcamps of Neuengamme concentration camp to Sandbostel. About 3000 of them died of epidemics, exhaustion or violence by the guards.

After liberation by the British army on 29 April 1945 and extensive rescue and supply measures, the camp was first used as a British internment camp, then as a prison, as a camp for GDR refugees, as a Bundeswehr depot and as an industrial estate. Since 2007, part of the site has been a memorial site. Source: Sandbostel Camp Foundation

place

Sandbostel, Rotenburg (W├╝mme)

year

2010

size

200 qm

team

Daniel Finke
Stefan Blaas
Gisela Gross
Rusmir Ramic
Lojang Soenario
Tina Raccah
Julia Wolf
Francesco Ciccolella
Eva Maria Heinrich
Susanne Benzing

client

Stiftung Lager Sandbostel

service

exhibition design
execution planning
tender award
construction management
exhibition graphic
media planning
media programming
Architectural services LPH 1-9

credits

Fotos Copyright Taufik Kenan